Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Satisfaction

{Song #28 « Song #29 » Song #30}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #29 is (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction sung by The Rolling Stones. It was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. The song is considered to be one of the all-time great rock songs. In 2004 Rolling Stone magazine placed "Satisfaction" in the second spot on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, while in 2006 it was added to the Library of Congress National Recording Registry.

About twenty years ago, during a long Labor-Day weekend, my local New Mexico radio station was playing one of those long-weekend countdowns of the "Top 500 Greatest Songs of All Time!" I had my radio on all weekend long and, of course, I was surprised by some of their picks. But there was no doubt in my mind what their #1 pick would end up being.

It was one of only two times in my life I've been wrong (the other time was in 1976 when I thought I had made a mistake). The radio station's #1 pick was "In the Still of the Night".

I came close though. My #1 was the station's #2. Not too shabby, but not complete satisfaction, which, I've been told, you just can't get.



Post #915 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Satisfaction

No comments:

Post a Comment