Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

She asserts; she lies; she's a skank!

Full Disclosure: The following is an opinion piece. I have formulated my opinions based on my own readings of the issues discussed, and on my own interpretations of those readings. My interpretations are, in turn, based on a lifetime of study, research, and contemplation of information I trust to be factual. If you have an opinion substantially different from mine, that's fine. Just don't bother marshaling your "facts" in a futile effort to convince me of the error of my ways. Unlike you, I don't give a shit what your opinion is. If I did, I'd be reading your blog, and possibly commenting on your posts.
Nancy Pelosi makes assertions. Nancy Pelosi lies. You want another opinion? OK, Nancy Pelosi is a skank. But you already knew that. It is not my intention here to pile on evidentiary material; that would be boring. Rather, I would like to discuss that which seems obvious to me (and perhaps to you as well) but which I have not observed to be much discussed in the course of the unfolding saga of the lying skank.

My disclosure notwithstanding, there are those whose opinions interest me very much. These people are among those whose commentary I follow regularly. Some of these, like Norman Geras, tend to consider important issues of morality and ethics from a philosophic standpoint. Others, like Victor Davis Hanson, are more pragmatic in their approach. Be that as it may, virtually everyone who expresses an opinion has an agenda.

The vast majority of opinions expressed, however, are assertions masquerading as truth, with an assemblage of referenced assertions masquerading as proof. But truth is not assertion; and assertion is not proof. You can quote me on that.

None of this is meant to imply that opinions have no value. The specific value, however, depends very much on the source, on what your expectations are, and, crucially, whether or not you know how to optimize the opinion's intrinsic value. The key to such optimization is in properly weighting the opinion per se with your understanding of the source's agenda vis a vis your own expectations.

I have lived long enough to have experienced good times and bad, and as a result have had ample time to prioritize a set of expectations for a rewarding life. And, since no man is an island (you can quote me on that, too), I seek the opinions of those whom I respect and whose agendas I perceive to be not at odds with mine. Along with my own world view, such valued opinions serve to guide me through the minefield of life. So far, so good.

Post #750 She asserts; she lies; she's a skank!

4 comments:

  1. Nice post - keep up the great work!
    COMMON CENTS
    http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

    ps. Link Exchange??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enrique Grande, you know I hate to be disputatious :). But knew a few skanks in my younger days, and none of them would have been caught dead with the likes of Nancy Pelosi.

    By the way, I'm back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Secular

    Yea, I hear ya. I only used "skank" instead of the more appropriate appellation out of regard for the high office that she occupies.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete