Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: In the Still of the Night

{Song #24 « Song #25 » Song #26}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #25 is In the Still of the Night sung by The Five Satins.

For three decades, this single almost always topped the influential Top 500 Songs countdown on oldies radio station WCBS-FM. The track sold over 10 million copies in 1987 and 1988 as part of the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. It is ranked #90 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of "the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

In 1956 I was a sophomore at Hicksville (NY) High School. Whenever there was a school dance or someone's birthday party, the 45rpm record everyone waited for was "In the Still of the Night". If you don't understand why that was so, you probably weren't an American teenager, with raging hormones, in the late 1950s, and you need to see one of my all-time favorite movies, "American Graffiti".

In the Still of the Night-The Five Satins-original song-1956


Post #883 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: In the Still of the Night

No comments:

Post a Comment