Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)

{Song #25 « Song #26 » Song #27}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #26 is December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) sung by The Four Seasons.

"December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" is a hit single by The Four Seasons, written by original Four Seasons keyboard player Bob Gaudio (formerly of The Royal Teens ["Short Shorts"]) and his future wife Judy Parker, produced by Gaudio, and included on the group's 1975 album, Who Loves You. The Vocal Group Hall of Fame has stated that it was the most popular white rock band before The Beatles. The song was originally about the repeal of prohibition, but the lyrics were changed at the urgings of [long-time frontman Frankie] Valli and lyricist Parker. The song became a nostalgic remembrance of a young man's "first time" with a woman.

As I have mentioned previously in this series, The "Bleach" Boys are my favorite band of all time. But, as a long-time New Yorker, I also have a special fondness for the group known as "the East Coast Beach Boys", which is how I view The Four Seasons.

The song December 1963 had a special, and very personal significance, for me when it was released in 1975. Sadly, a third of a century later, I've forgotten why! Unfortunately, this reminiscence will get me in hot water with wifey, because, she has learned (quite correctly) to be skeptical of my "senior moment" type claims. Sigh.

The Four Seasons - December, 1963 (Oh What A Night) - 1975


Post #890 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)

No comments:

Post a Comment