Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Goodnight, Irene

{Song #56 « Song #57 » Song #58}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #57 is Goodnight, Irene, a 20th century American folk standard, written in 3/4 time, first recorded by American blues musician Huddie 'Lead Belly' Ledbetter in 1932. The lyrics tell of the singer's troubled past with his love, Irene, and express his sadness and frustration. Several verses make explicit reference to suicidal fantasies, most famously in the line "sometimes I take a great notion to jump in the river and drown."

I've always loved this song, especially its lilting tempo. It has a musical quality that seems to have vanished from the current music scene, a loss of nuance that has impoverished the entire world as if music itself took "a great notion ...".

Goodnight, Irene - The Weavers with Gordon Jenkins Orchestra


Post #1,151 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Goodnight, Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment