Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Danny Boy

{Song #57 « Song #58 » Song #59}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #58 is Danny Boy, a ballad written by Frederick Weatherly and usually set to the tune of the Londonderry Air. "Danny Boy" was originally said to be intended as a message from a woman to a man, and Weatherly provided the alternative "Eily dear" for male singers in his 1918 authorised lyrics. The song has been interpreted by some listeners as a message from a parent to a son going off to war or leaving as part of the Irish diaspora. Widely considered an Irish anthem, though Weatherly was an Englishman, many Irish Americans and Irish Canadians consider "Danny Boy" their unofficial signature song.

I was not as well acquainted with the Irish diaspora as I have been with the one associated with Juice. But this beautiful song has always spoken to me, perhaps not only because of its beauty, but also because of the bitter-sweet message it evokes.

Celtic Woman - Danny Boy


Post #1,160 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Danny Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment