Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Music! Music! Music!

{Song #55 « Song #56 » Song #57}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #56 is Music! Music! Music!, as sung by Teresa Brewer. It was the biggest-selling version of the song, recorded by Brewer on December 20, 1949, and released by London Records as catalog number 604. It became a number 1 hit and a million-seller in 1950, eventually becoming Teresa's signature song.

This song became a top hit shortly after my parents and I arrived in America. I remember my Mom and I singing it together after we purchased the lyrics from the corner candy store in our neighborhood in New York City.

A nickelodeon was what a jukebox was called back then, when a nickel went a lot further than it does today. You could also ride the subway for a nickel, and a Coke was just 5c too! Moreover, every subway station had chewing gum machines, which dispensed a couple of Chiclets in a tiny cardboard box for a penny!

Would any kid today deign to pick up a nickel on the street? A dime?

Teresa Brewer - Music! Music! Music! (1950)


Post #1,146 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Music! Music! Music!

No comments:

Post a Comment