Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Everyone Bleeds

Alan Simpson, et al.
Related Link » Alan Simpson defends Tea Party: “They know something is desperately wrong”
“Alan Simpson, the former Republican senator who is co-chairing President Obama’s fiscal commission, on Wednesday said the Tea Party is being driven by an accurate understanding of the country’s fiscal crisis. […] CBS Correspondent Lesley Stahl, who moderated the discussion with Simpson and [fellow commission co-chair Erskine Bowles, former White House chief of staff to President Bill Clinton, who was also speaking at the event], expressed surprise at Simpson’s praise for the Tea Party. ‘Yeah, but they’re "no new taxes" organizations. They’re "don’t touch my social security" organizations’, Stahl said. Simpson responded: ‘I know but they know that something is desperately wrong in America. That’s the key’.”
— By Jon Ward, 04/28/10 (The Daily Caller)
FULL DISCLOSURE: I am neither a Republican nor a Tea-Party member, and I am certainly not a liberal in the pathetic modern sense of that term. I am not affiliated with any political party, but I consider myself traditionally liberal on most social issues, a conservative on fiscal and national-defense policy, and libertarian minded on everything else. I like to think for myself on a case-by-case and candidate-by-candidate basis. How do you like them apples?


Now — I like Alan Simpson, whom I had heard of before, but whom I am just beginning to listen to. He makes sense; and that, friend, is high praise where I come from. I had also heard of Erskine Bowles, but he seems to be less extroverted than Simpson, so I haven't a strong opinion of him yet, though he appears to be of like mind.

All the usual jackals and hyenas in the media are trying desperately to squeeze some sound bites out of Simpson (and Bowles), but, so far, they refuse to get pinned down to any favored approach. They continue to insist that all fiscal measures are "on the table", which is as it should be.

Simpson, Bowles, and their fellow commissioners are charged with what I hope to be a serious examination of our fiscally irresponsible national state of affairs. As everyone knows, it will take universal bleeding in order to have any chance of getting the situation under control. If you absolutely must have a picture drawn, it will require some of all of the following: additional taxes; reduction in spending, and cuts in entitlements. Comprende? Everyone bleeds; no exceptions.

Post #1,240 Everyone Bleeds



No comments:

Post a Comment