Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: San Francisco

{Song #29 « Song #30 » Song #31}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #30 is San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair) sung by Scott McKenzie. It was written by John Phillips (father of Mackenzie Phillips) of The Mamas & the Papas, and was released in June 1967 to promote the Monterey Pop Festival.

I do have to hand it to the "flower children". I happened to have been in San Francisco in June of 1967 (ironically, during the Six-Day War).

Those "gentle" people knew how to do sex, drugs and music. One of the most beautiful songs to come out of that era was, as it happens, "San Francisco", currently home to some of those now-homeless hippies.



Post #926 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment