Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Friday, June 29, 2007

iPhone™ Envy? Not!

This is not another opinion piece on the iPhone. I am merely capitalizing on the buzz, even as I write, concerning the newest product to be marketed as the latest and greatest personal technology must have. The latest? Indeed. But it only aspires to being the greatest. The latest seldom is. This is why I must not have it. At least not now.

I was recently astounded to discover that a software system for Monte Carlo simulation, which I had co-authored in a multi-man-year R&D effort and personally installed at a well known research institute, was still being used by that institute. This is sophisticated simulation software, functioning three decades after installation and a quarter century after all technical support for the system had ceased! Perhaps I may be permitted a modest claim: dat some robust technology, bro.

Now, where was I before I so rudely interrupted myself? Oh yes, why not get the latest? Because it is buggy. It is very buggy. Those who get the latest are purchasing, at a significant premium mind you, the privilege of de-bugging the system for the manufacturer. The best way to make your tech foolproof is to foist it on a mob of drooling fools who will beat the crap out of it and in the process identify most of the bugs. Then the revised version will be launched, and the same droolers will camp out to be among the first to engage in Phase II of the de-bugging cycle.

I know what you're thinking: so when do you avail yourself of new technology? My simple rule of thumb is: when it's been leap frogged. Today, for example, is a good time to get a robust version of Windows XP™, now that Vista
is on the scene.

If you must have an
iPhone, wait until Google Phone is launched. Avoid the ultimate technology. The penultimate is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment