Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

To Nancy, with love and kisses

Dear Madame Speaker,

You don't know me, but this morning I was moved to apologize to you. I beg your forgiveness.

Somewhere, long ago, I had concluded that you were the worst Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives that this great nation of ours had ever had the misfortune of being subjected to. I realized this morning that I had been overwhelmed by sentimentality, when I tried, very hard, to recreate how I had come to such a foolish conclusion.

You might be smiling at these words that I have written and the nostalgia they may have evoked, in my fumbling for the proper words to describe my story. I wonder if the thought had crossed your mind that I might be fabricating the details? I hope that is not the case.

Over the ensuing years you had established a place in my daily life, it seems, for I had many harsh things to say about, what seemed to me to be, issues about which you never appeared to think twice about. Wait, please stay with me a bit, I know that I am fumbling my apology, but please don't apologize that you have some important legislation to screw with shape. I guess, by now, it must be obvious that I can see you going to your next important appointment ...

But, I see now, that what a fool believes he sees, as opposed to what he hears, wiser men than I can not disabuse him of it. Of course, whatever he thinks are the transgressions of an elected official's misjudgments, they may turn out to be, in the very long run, better than nothing. And, as is ordinarily the case, nothing at all keeps sending him up a tree, with despair in his (or her) heart.

Can you ever forgive me? I've been such a fool to believe all those awful things about you.

Your humble servant in perpetuity,
etc.

Post #1,183 To Nancy, with love and kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment