Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Dream Lover

{Song #13 « Song #14 » Song #15}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #14 is Dream Lover, sung by Bobby Darin.

Fifty years ago, in the summer of 1959, I was a junior camp counselor at a sleep-away camp in Upstate New York. I think that was my first paying job with Social Security deductions. Along with two senior counselors (they were already in college, whereas I had just graduated from Hicksville High) our charges were called "submariners" — the youngest campers, some of whom occasionally still wet their beds at night. This was actually a great job because my age-group campers were the only ones with a third (junior) counselor, and I slept in a small cabin by myself. Hence, I didn't have to deal with the bed-wetters. But there was a price to be paid for my private quarters: my other duty was to play the flag-raising bugle call every morning. In my youth, getting up in the morning was always problematic.

During the summer before my freshman year at Cornell, the song that I heard most often, and which foretold the principal object of my daydreams that summer, was Bobby Darin's big hit.



Post #773 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Dream Lover

No comments:

Post a Comment