Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Lyin' Eyes

{Song #14 « Song #15 » Song #16}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #15 is Lyin' Eyes, a song written by Don Henley and Glenn Frey and recorded in 1975 by the American rock band Eagles, with Frey singing lead vocals.

When I relocated to New Mexico in 1986, I decided to let my hair grow long. I had never done that before (or since), but it just felt right at that point in my life, even though, by then, that style had gotten rather stale. I had already been sporting a mustache for some years, and by the time my hair reached my shoulders, I looked a little like Glenn Frey in the video, below.

Once, while on vacation in southern New Mexico, a little band playing in the hotel bar let me sing the lead vocals to this song, one of my all-time favorites. I knew the lyrics by heart, but I couldn't resist (I was a bit tipsy) replacing one word at the end of the last verse, "You're still the same old girl you used to be." As I always sing it in the shower, "girl" is replaced by a more shocking 4-letter word for "girl". The people in the bar didn't seem phased (except the girl I was with at the time, who turned red as a beet). I really enjoyed my five minutes of fame.



Post #786 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Lyin' Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment