Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rules to Live By — Updated

Moses with the tablets of the Ten Commandments...Image via Wikipedia
God asked Moses, "Do you want a commandment?"
And Moses replied, "How much?"
God said, "It's free."
Moses: "I'll take 10."
[The rest of this joke is history.]
Related source » Judging People
[This related source is recommended in its entirety.]

“I see a lot of judging going around lately. And I notice that people often invent their own standards of right and wrong just before passing sentence. What this world needs is some sort of universal standard so we'd always know for sure who is good and who is bad. The Ten Commandments was a start. That list covers some of the basics. But it's a bit dated, and it doesn't cover the important questions of our day, such as who is arrogant, who doesn't work hard enough, who should come out of the closet, who is a hypocrite, who is an Internet troll, and so on. Society is inventing new ways of being bad more quickly than we can evolve the rules to cover the new situations. We need some sort of standard that can keep up. I'm unqualified for the task of creating this new standard of good and bad because I believe free will is an illusion. By my view, we're born, our molecules bump around then we die. No one is good or bad if we're all just bumping around according to physical laws. Any standard for good and bad behavior that I suggest would be inconsistent with my own point of view. But for some reason I'm going to suggest just such a standard anyway. Apparently I can't help myself. And my standard goes like this: You're a good person if you work hard at something that is useful to society and you try to avoid hurting other people when it's practical.”
— Scott Adams, Apr 26, 2011 (dilbert.com)



I like Scott's version of an updated set of rules to live by. But since I am inclined to believe we do have free will (or what amounts to the same thing: our predestination involves such a colossal set of parameters that our behavior is indistinguishable from free will), I will venture a set of guidelines, too. To wit:

TheBigHenry's Dos and Don'ts
(or else, You're Out of the Gene Pool!)
  1. Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you. This Golden Rule (GR) needs no further elaboration.
  2. Try not to be a schmuck. If this sounds too vague for you, then try not to be like Chuck Schumer, aka Schmuck Chewer.
  3. Mind your own business (MYOB). Got too much time on your hands? Read a book. Write a blog. Go back to school. Get a job. Volunteer. Exercise. But stay out of my space. If I think you may be on to something, I'll call you.
  4. Honor your mother and father. They gave you life; you owe them that. You may not like them. You undoubtedly think Johnny's parents gave better Christmas presents. You probably think they mistreated you or didn't give you everything you were entitled to. Nevertheless, they gave you life, and unless they take it away from you, you have to at least acknowledge that fact on occasion, and act accordingly.
  5. Don't be a murdering son of a bitch (specific instance of GR).
  6. Don't steal. But if you're like Jean Valjean, taking a loaf of bread that you haven't paid for can be overlooked, if you are really hungry.
  7. My work is done, and it is good. Some suggested amendments may be entertained, at my own discretion.

Post 1,617 Rules to Live By — Updated

No comments:

Post a Comment