Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: When I Need You

{Song #66 « Song #67 » Song #68}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #67 is When I Need You sung by Leo Sayer. "When I Need You" is a popular song written by Albert Hammond and Carole Bayer Sager. Produced by Richard Perry, Leo Sayer's version made number 1 on the UK Singles Chart for two weeks in February 1977 after three of his earlier singles had stalled at number 2. A massive hit worldwide, it reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for a single week in May 1977.

I was quite taken by this heartfelt song of longing. The melody, as always, was the selling point for me, though the lyrics are clearly from the stand point of a long-distance trucker, who is hardly what one would normally visualize as a paragon for romance (no slight intended). Moreover, I have always felt, from the time I first heard this song, that its natural title is "Only a Heartbeat Away". In any case, it is a melodic favorite of mine.

Leo Sayer - When I Need You


Post #1,281 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: When I Need You

No comments:

Post a Comment