Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Don't Speak Jive

Unlike Barbara Billingsley's character (Jive Lady) in the movie Airplane!, I don't speak jive. I do, however, know the difference between "jive" and "jibe", the latter being the intransitive verb meaning "to be in accord". Though these two words are near homonyms, and they are subject to typographical confusion because of the contiguous positions of the letters "v" and "b" on a standard keyboard, they have entirely different meanings and, strictly speaking, should not be used interchangeably.

Don't jive me, man. And if you haven't a clue what I'm talking about, for god's sake don't ax me about it!

Post #725 I Don't Speak Jive

No comments:

Post a Comment