Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Can't we all just give it some thought?

In 1957 Jerry Lee Lewis recorded Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On, which, if memory serves, described pretty well that relatively carefree American teenage scene. Today's world scene might be equally well described by a slight modification of that title: Whole Lotta Yappin' Goin On. I acknowledge my own contribution to the virtual free-for-all on the Web, which is just one of a plethora of venues for sounding off, albeit the one most accessible to ordinary folk.

This is both good and bad. It is always a good thing to have the freedom of expression in the sense of our Constitution's First Amendment. The main drawback, as I see it, is the message overload that results from easy access to worldwide dissemination. For discriminating readers, it is nearly impossible to sift through that volume whose signal-to-noise ratio is minuscule. I regret to say, I am not aware of any strategy that could alleviate the problem. Self restraint would help, but who amongst us is prepared to admit that our view is best kept to ourself?

I will have to rely on the ingenuity of the Googles of our world of universal communicators to sort things out eventually. In the meantime, I will carry on in my personal quest to set the world straight: TheWorld According to TheBigHenry.

Here is what I think is wrong with the so-called "message-movies" Holyshitwood can not resist. I am not opposed, necessarily, to the undisguised messages for much of the dog-eat-dog behavior of evil-doing men and women depicted in these movies. Not at all. I am appalled by the all too common use of torture in our savage world, to cite one obvious example that, dare I say it, most of sane humanity opposes. What bothers me, however, is the seemingly prevailing failure to utilize efficiently limited resources in addressing the overwhelming number of evils threatening our way of life.

Holyshitwood's refusal, and that of the liberal left in general, to grasp the enormity of the threat posed by the gathering storm of hatred arrayed against us is obscene. Their obscenity translates into choosing messages without regard to the relative weight (in units of individual lives affected) of any specific choice of message. I can only speculate as to the motivations of such choices of convenience: profit margins; politics; safer targets (those legally and procedurally constrained from giving as good as they get); and never underestimate the infinite reach of human stupidity. I am always reminded of that Holyshitwood classic, "They Shoot Stupid F*cks, Don't They?"

No comments:

Post a Comment