Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Ain't That a Shame

{Song #10 « Song #11 » Song #12}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #11 is Ain't That a Shame, sung by Fats Domino.

I started my first job in the summer of 1955. The salary was zero, but it came with a decent benefits package: room and board; health care; and my parents' tender-loving-care. And to top it all off, there was a daily ham-and-cheese sandwich for lunch, which it was my duty to buy at the deli down the street for my father, his partner Frank, and myself. I was "helping" my father in his typewriter store in Elmont, New York, home of Belmont Park, the major thoroughbred horse-racing facility.

Another perk of my job was to listen to the radio on the workbench where I took apart the typewriters my Dad's customers left to be serviced. The song I remember best from that summer before my first year in Hicksville High School was Fats Domino's original version of Ain't That a Shame.



Post #745 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Ain't That a Shame

No comments:

Post a Comment