Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Foreplay/Long Time

{Song #8 « Song #9 » Song #10}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #9 is Foreplay/Long Time, sung by Boston.

For me, the most thrilling part of the incomparable Fifth Symphony of the incomparable Ludwig van Beethoven is the bridge that links the 3rd and 4th movements without interruption. Unlike the countless rock songs that are played and screamed unwaveringly at fortissimo, the nuanced Beethoven bridge builds a virtually unbearable tension before the radiant triumph of the 4th movement explodes. That, dear reader, is what I call mind-blowing music.

The only modern song that creates a comparable tension is Foreplay/Long Time. Imagine driving a Honda Prelude at ~85 mph, with its sunroof and windows wide open, on a bright sunny day in the American Southwest, heading north on I-25 with nary another car in sight, and, temporarily, not a care in the world. The Foreplay-prelude bridge to Long Time is coming to a close, as the beat of the drum begins, pianissimo, its heart-thumping crescendo: | ] ) } > !

Now that, Chris Jerkoff, is what I call a tingling sensation, leading to a mind-blowing moment of living life large.



Post #733 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: Foreplay/Long Time

No comments:

Post a Comment