Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Learned the Hard Way: Arguing Is Pointless

Fresh from the school of hard knocks …


Pointless (TV series)
Pointless (TV series) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Related source » Arguing Is Pointless | Fox Business: 'via Blog this'
[This related source is recommended in its entirety.]
“Arguing achieves a predictable outcome: it solidifies each person's stance. Which, of course, is the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve with the argument in the first place. It also wastes time and deteriorates relationships.”

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/2012/11/08/arguing-is-pointless/#ixzz2BxV9ojEV
— By Peter Bregman, November 08, 2012 (foxbusiness.com)


It occurs to me, after years of arguing against Obama's election and reelection (with a multitude of friends, relatives, acquaintances, as well as strangers online), that I have wasted an enormous amount of time, energy, and a rapidly diminishing store of good will toward men and women. For I have precious little to show for it all. And as I reflect on my past successes (as if), I realize with dismay that it has ever been so. Despite being almost never wrong (there was that one time, in 1976, when I thought I had made a mistake), I don't recall ever having changed anyone's mind about anything worthy of note.

It is human nature, and most likely an evolutionary survival mechanism, to resist being persuaded by anyone else of one's own inferiority. The other guy is most likely trying to eat your lunch. Don't let him, even if Obama gave you your lunch for free. Deep down, you know there is no free lunch, but f*ck that shit; you don't have to know that shit. It's dog eat dog, yeah? F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke. Nice guys finish last.

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, however. I intend to continue to blog here, as I have been since April 16, 2007. But I will endeavor to resist the temptation to persuade anyone of the superiority of my position. Last time I checked, Americans still had the freedom of speech, and it is my opinion that one must exercise one's precious freedoms while one still can.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Post 1,924 Learned the Hard Way: Arguing Is Pointless

No comments:

Post a Comment