Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Not as Good as It Gets

Related Link » Male writing female

“I have one reservation, which I express tentatively since I'm not altogether sure whether it isn't due only to something in the eye of the beholder, namely, me. The Story of a Marriage is a first-person narration by the woman of the marriage in question, Pearlie. And from time to time as I was reading I had the strong impression that Greer's [the author's] prose was masculine - that this book could only have been written, as it in fact was, by a man.”
 — Norman Geras

I can only surmise that the author in question (Andrew Sean Greer) hadn't seen the movie "As Good As It Gets", because anyone who has seen it knows what it takes for a man to write women well:
"I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability".
Post #808 Not as Good as It Gets

No comments:

Post a Comment