Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Close Encounters of the "Hopey-Dopey" Kind

Tristein, Becky, Dane, Jilly, and Mikhal at the Bean
A funny thing happened on our way to Chicago. As Wifey and I were approaching Midway Airport (we were visiting family in the Midwest), our pilot pointed out that Air Force One was visible on the left side of our plane as it headed to its own landing at O'Hare. That was our first close encounter with The Obama this week.

Arriving at our hotel, the Palmer House Hilton, we noticed what seemed like an unusual number of hotel staff scurrying around like chickens with their heads cut off. Clearly, this had little to do with our own arrival. The next morning, however, the general frenzy had been cranked up a notch. Now there seemed to be a large contingent of what looked like very serious suits walking about, none of whom were smiling much. I sensed that something serious was up and I hadn't read the memo.

Long story short, The Obama was in our hotel for one of His fundraisers, and one of the hotel staff, who was blocking the entrance to the elevators enclave, confirmed that The Won was staying in the hotel's penthouse. I had to show my room key and identify myself in order to be allowed to return to our room on the 19th floor, before the scalding cups of coffee I was carrying for Wifey and me gave me third degree burns. It goes without saying, I chose not to make a contribution to the fundraiser.

Crowds of people were outside the hotel, some of them advocating various self-serving promotions. I resisted the temptation to join them.



We will be back home in Durham in a few days, at which time my blogging will resume its normal posting frequency. "I'll be back!"

Post 1,379 Close Encounters of the "Hopey-Dopey" Kind

2 comments:

  1. Haha love it! What about the Tea Party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikhal,

    I would have joined the Tea Partiers, but it was hard to tell which crowd was which.

    h

    ReplyDelete