Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

§ I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: It's All in the Game

{Song #61 « Song #62 » Song #63}

§ ≡ One of an ongoing series of posts in which I pick, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best songs of the second millennium. Feel free to offer constructive dissenting opinions; preferably set to music.

Song #62 is It's All in the Game sung by Tommy Edwards. Carl Sigman composed the lyrics in 1951 to a wordless 1911 composition entitled "Melody in A Major," written by Charles Dawes, later Vice President of the United States under Calvin Coolidge. It is the only #1 pop single to have been cowritten by a U.S. Vice President.

The song has become a pop standard, with cover versions, some of which have been minor hit singles, by dozens of artists. Edwards' 1958 song ranked at #38 on Billboard's All Time Top 100.

I was 16 when this song was the #1 single. And if you don't understand why it is one of my picks in this series, you probably weren't a teenager in 1950s America, when slow dancing in darkened rooms was a common remedy for raging hormones.

Tommy Edwards - It's All in the Game


Post #1,205 § I Am Music and I Pick the Songs: It's All in the Game



No comments:

Post a Comment