Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Monday, February 22, 2010

My Alma Mater Ratchets Up the PC

As a Cornell alumnus, I occasionally receive mail from various University offices, usually seeking a donation of some sort, or trying to entice me to participate in a Cornell-sponsored activity. I am not willing to simply trash such mail (it might, on rare occasion, be of some interest to me), but, generally, I give it only a cursory glance.

Today, however, I did a double-take when I glanced at the latest missive from the Office of Alumni Affairs. A typically elegant brochure had been addressed to me personally, for, as already mentioned, I am indeed an alumnus. But something was amiss.

My name was spelled correctly, and my address was also correct. They even remembered to accord me the courtesy of prepending my title of "Dr." to my name. And yet, there was something about that address label that was just plain wrong.

In order to comply with some inane bit of political correctness, I presume, the Cornell University Office of Alumni Affairs took the absurd precaution to insert between my name and my address the following 3 words:
OR CURRENT RESIDENT
What in blazes would prompt them to do that? What, for heavens sake, if I had actually moved, and the premises were now occupied by an alumnus of Duke University, or, perish the thought, Harvard, Yale, or [gasp] Princeton?

Break me a f*cking give.

Post #1,141 My Alma Mater Ratchets Up the PC

No comments:

Post a Comment