Note Well:
This blog is intended for rational audiences. Its contents are the personal opinions of its author. If you quote from this blog, which you
may do with attribution, please assume personal accountability for any consequences of mischaracterizing these expressed intentions.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's an Audition

"Life" is a recurring subject on this web log [click on the label Life (and Other Concepts) to see all the relevant posts], a repeating occurrence in local spacetime, and possibly universal. For sentient life, it is a process whose purpose, if any, continues to be a principal obsession and contention, which may not be resolved intellectually during the lifetimes of those currently living, if ever.

Unless and until a consensus intellectual purpose is revealed, everyone is on his own to develop a satisfactory working hypothesis, or live without one if one can't get [no] satisfaction.

My own personal hypothesis can be cast within the theatrical metaphor. I agree with the quip that "Life is not a rehearsal", because I do not believe in reincarnation. Likewise, I don't think that life is a performance, which, for me, connotes the concept of pretense, and frequent readers of this blog know my sentiments vis-a-vis Holyshitwood.

It is much easier to enumerate what life is not, than to commit to what it is. Nevertheless, one is inclined to make such a commitment to purpose, eventually. So, for me, life is an audition. In accordance with my previously posted A Modest Prescription For A Life That Is Good:
I believe regrets can serve as guidance for the avoidance of bad choices and lamentable behavior. We can strive to avoid having regrets when all is said and done. And the ideal to strive for is to have no regrets at the end of a life that is good.
I will judge my own audition by taking stock of my regrets at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment